Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

What It Is Like To Be Served

There was a man named Les. He had a wonderful childhood. He had the life challenges but nothing overwhelming. One day he met his wife to be.Her name was Leeya. Leeya came from a Christian home. Her parents taught her to fear God and reference him. As time went on Leeya and Les fell in love. Les asked Leeya to marry him. Leeya didn't farther her education because her mother felt that a woman place was to serve her husband and family as we serve God. 
Well, Leeya married Les. She doubted if this was the wrong decision. She told God that she loved him. She was going to give all of herself  into this marriage. Leeya served Les. She cooked,clean, iron, washed clothes, etc. Leeya wasn't the average woman. When Les would come home from work she would take off his shoes, undress him and put his work clothes away. When he took his shower she would have his clothes laid out for him. As time went on Leeya started to get tired. She asked God what do it feel like to be served? Now, they had children, Les was an great father. She would ask Les to do things or go places with her. He would just moan and groan about why I have to go? Can you go by yourself? He hardly didn't do any yard work without Leeya complaining. Time went by, Leeya continued to be faithful. One day Leeya wasn't feeling well. She hid it from Les and the children. The children knew something was wrong with their mother. One morning after the children had left for school, Leeya set an emergency doctor appointment. She drove to the doctor office so slowly that she took in every piece of scenery. She never had done that before. When she arrived at the doctor office. The receptionist at the front desk took one look at Leeya.

 "You are sick",  said receptionist

She walking with me down the hall to the room seem like eternity. We enter the room I took a short breath, thanking God. 

"Dr.Overton will be in to see you shortly", she said. 

Leeya was afraid of what the doctor might tell her. Leeya waited for five minutes, when she heard the door squeak. She looked up to see Dr.Overton a look of bewildered came upon his face. 

"Leeya what happened?" he asked.

 " I don't know. I started feeling bad a few days ago. This morning I felt like I couldn't barely move." she responded. 

"You are very fatigued. We need to run some test. Do you want me to call Les." he asked.

 "NO! I don't want him to know until you have an answer concerning my health." she said promptly. 

The hours and minutes grasped the seconds as if I was waiting on God's judgement. The nurse came in the room she walked very slowly towards me holding the knowledge of my conviction in her eyes.

"The doctor will be in soon." 


Preparing my mind with every possibility of news, the good and bad. How will Les do without me serving him? How will I be a mother to my children? They depend on me. I do everything. Who will take care of me? Dr. Overton came in the room unnoticeable to my attention.


"Leeya, Leeya I have the results. You have gynecological (vaginal) cancer. Have you had any trouble with pain in that area or abdominal?"


"Yes, I do but not serve."


"Leeya, the cancer is in its last stage. There is nothing I can do."


"No, Dr. Overton, I will tell Les. Thank you."


The drive home was beautiful. She couldn't believe how the sunshine makes the earth greets you. She did her regular routine. After dinner she called the family to sit down in the living room. 


"I am sorry, that I have been keeping this from you. I haven't been feeling well for awhile. Today, I went to the doctor. I have vaginal cancer. It is in the last stage. Dr. Overton can't do anything for me."


Les face was covered in tears. The children jumped and grabbed me so tight I had to ask to let me breathe."


"Mom we need you. We love you." said children.


"The time was getting closer. I could feel it. I was surprised how Les, took care of me. He wouldn't to do things with me or go places with me when I was able. God brought this question back to my remembrance. God what do it feel like to be served?"

My children and Les gathered about the bed. I knew I had to leave but I didn't want to go. I know God said it is time for me to come home. Feeling for Les hand I wanted to feel his touch. I gained his attention to lean closer to me. 

"Yes, Leeya. I love you. I'm sorry that I didn't serve you before now."

She chuckled weakly with her last breath. "Thanks for letting me know what it is like to be served."

2 comments: